Monday, June 10, 2013

Quick, Delicious & Healthy

I constantly hear people say that it takes too much time to make meals that are healthy and delicious. Well this post is to prove to them that they are wrong! The only thing that was planned for the following meal was for site to take the fish out of the freezer this morning before I left for work. Because I knew we were eating fish Rebecca set the timer on our steamer and set it up so the rice would be finished cooking around dinner time. From start to table the preparation and plating of the meal was less than 20 minutes. The entire meal was cooked with fresh ingredients, herbs, spices, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of butter and a splash of local maple syrup on the salmon and white wine on the bass. The entire meal with the exception of the rice was cooked on the grill which resulted in a smell free kitchen and minimum dishes to clean up.


I thick sliced a sweet vidalia onion and lightly tossed with olive oil in a large bowl. Once the onions were on the grill I saved the bowl with the olive oil for tossing my peppers in once they were roasted  and peeled. (I started the veggies first and while the fish was cooking I peeled and sliced the peppers)

Both the maple glazed salmon and the lemon garlic striped bass were cooked in foil pouches over direct, high heat on the grill.

I garnished with basil and parsley that was picked out of the planters next to the grill on the back deck and finished with juicy lemon wedges.


The best part of this dinner is that both my children ate every morsel on their plates and thanked me for an amazing dinner when they were done. It felt good to have a belly full of food that not only was delicious, it was quick to prepare and healthy for not only me but my entire family! Oh and the plates were disposable so  clean up was a breeze, we just tossed them into the garbage when we were done!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm all for quick, healthy meals that are as delicious as this seems to be.

Debbie said...

Sounds Yummy To me.
I have found that "simplicity" is the secret. Foil pouches eh...